After the gluttony of the festive season, it’s no surprise that gyms across the country are full of newbies, desperate to tone up or bulk out. Here are HeadStyle’s tips on how to look like a pro in the weights room.
#1 Don’t rest too long between reps
Your rest/rep ratio is one of the crucial factors in achieving a killer workout so make sure you’re not wandering aimlessly around the gym or selecting your next track between sets.
#2 Don’t focus too much on your bicep curls
Newbies often waste time on doing isolation lifts when you need to learn and start performing the big lifts to help you build strength. Focus on the deadlift, bench press and squat.
#3 Doing sit-ups to strengthen your core
Crunches just tend to use a few minor muscles groups whereas a good core workout incorporates exercises that strengthen the entire set of core muscles. Find a good plank workout.
And here is our list of absolute gym no-nos:
- Do not have a conversation on your mobile phone – stick it on airplane mode
- Don’t bagsie a bench with your towel as you take a break or use the water fountain
- Don’t not put your weights back when you’ve finished with them
- Don’t leave a puddle behind you on the bench
- Do not grunt like a Romanian shotputter on every rep